Thursday, May 5, 2022

Exploring Leon

I was thinking this morning how most Americans are so spoiled by being able to jump in a car and go anywhere at any time. When you're on foot like I am here in Spain you have to actually plan to get from point A to point B but the journey it's a lot more fun.

I really enjoyed a two and a half hour train ride through the mountains between Oviedo San Leon. It followed the path of the Camino San Salvador which has the reputation for being the most rugged. It looks as though that is true.


Oviedo was a beautiful city, but there is a lot American influence. There are a lot of American brands and stores and even McDonald's. Leon is also a beautiful city but entirely European. There are a lot more small cafes and local shops. Other than the always  present American music, it feels very different from Oviedo.

The Leon Cathedral dominates the city. I took a couple hundred pictures in 2016 when Laurel and I were here, and I got a few more today. The dominating feature of Leon is the stained glass. I did the metric to English conversions and the total stained glass is almost a half an acre in area. 



















The majority of the cathedral was completed in the mid-1300s, but there were additions made up until 1600. When this cathedral was built the city of Leon was capital of the Kingdom of Leon, but only had 5000 people. Imagine building this structure in a city that's size.

I did the English audio tour and they kept referring to the simple Gothic lines of the cathedral. I don't know about that. Look at the photos and make your own decision.




Exploring Leon

I was thinking this morning how most Americans are so spoiled by being able to jump in a car and go anywhere at any time. When you're on...