Friday, April 29, 2022

Day 1 - Jet lag recovery in Oviedo

 “Always plan ahead. It wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark.” –Richard Cushing

I got up this morning to a light rain and decided to change plans and spend an extra day in Oviedo. It's a beautiful city and other than the cathedral I didn't get a chance to visit any other sites. Also, I would like to use another day to get over jet lag. We had a dozen crying babies on a flight with lots of turbulence and I did not get a lot sleep.

I got 14 hours sleep last night and  the place I am staying in serves a free full american-style breakfast. So, being an American, I ate too much and I feel great. It is good to know that tomorrow I can start early with a full stomach.

One of the best things about not planning too far ahead if you can make changes easily. I don't have reservations anywhere except my final day in Santiago, so today's change is very easy to make. I have several extra days in my schedule or just such a occasion.

This morning I had breakfast with Michael from Cologne Germany. He and a friend have been walking from Cologne to Santiago 1-2 weeks every year. They made it as far has Oviedo, and his friend passed this year. Michael is headed to Santiago solo this year. Every time I have walked the Camino I hear stories like this and it is one of the things that makes it a beautiful experience.

Sun just came out, so I hope I'm not missing a great walking day.


San Juan el Real, Oviedo University, San Triso, and the Cloister Real.


More views  of the Cathedral.





















A city with amazing public art for a city of 180,000 people.





Exploring Leon

I was thinking this morning how most Americans are so spoiled by being able to jump in a car and go anywhere at any time. When you're on...