Thursday, April 28, 2022

Day 0 - Oviedo

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.” Frank A. Clark

I am finally here in Oviedo - the start of the Camino Primitivo. After dropping my bag at the Hostel -- I sprung for a single room to get over jet lag -- I headed to the Cathedral.

Catedral de San Salvador de Oviedo

The Cathedral of the Holy Saviour, was erected in 1388 over the previous cathedral, which was founded in the 8th century. I got my first stamp in my Pilgrim passport and headed for the Cámara Santa de Oviedo -- the holy chamber. Dating from 802. It is located within the Cathedral, attached to the southern transept of the cathedral, and it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Among other treasures it houses the Arca Santa chest reliquary of the Sudarium of Oviedo.

The Sudarium of Oviedo or Shroud of Oviedo is a bloodstained cloth kept in the Arca Santa. The Sudarium (Latin for sweat cloth) is claimed to be the cloth wrapped around the head of Jesus Christ after he died. There several dozen congruencies' with the Shroud of Turin that can't be easily discounted. It has been revered for almost 1500 years.




As it had been for the Romans and Visigoths, the Moors did not find mountainous territory easy to conquer, and the lands along Spain's northern coast never became part of Islamic Spain. There are many more relicts displayed here as well. They were moved here for safe keeping from the Moors, but were never returned to their original location. 

After the Cathedral I headed to the Decathlon sports super store to buy a pair of walking poles. The TSA has determined that walking sticks are weapons and must be checked. My backpack was carryon so I need to get my walking poles here. They are 1/3 of the cost in the US, so it was a good decision. I may check a bag on the return to keep the poles and get some souvenirs in Santiago.

Next stop was Calle Gascona -- the zona de sidrerías or cider district. I am told I need to drink all the cider I want for the next few days because any cider the crossed the mountains is no longer drinkable. When in Asturias -- do as the locals tell you.




Exploring Leon

I was thinking this morning how most Americans are so spoiled by being able to jump in a car and go anywhere at any time. When you're on...