Sunday, May 1, 2022

Day 3 Paladin to Salas

 “Bring a compass. It’s awkward when you have to eat your friends.”  Unknown

I did bring a compass this time.

I had a good night's sleep last night an 8-person dorm with only five people. There were a few heavy snores in the crowd, but the windows were open and you could hear the rapids from the river and early in the morning you could hear the cow bells from the dairy on the other side of the river. Relaxing.


I grabbed a quick breakfast and headed out towards Grado. It was about 50 degrees and just misting rain, so I didn't need rain gear. 

It's Sunday and Grado has a large Market Day which was good because today is Mother's Day in Spain  and restaurants are packed. I was able to get a second breakfast of an egg and bacon sandwich.


From Grotto I have about a 1200 ft climb to Salas where I'm planning on staying the night. I just hope the rain holds off a little more.

Today's climb is the first test to see if I'm ready for the mountain pass. The next 3 days are where most of the climbing comes in with almost 3,000 ft up and down each day.



Exploring Leon

I was thinking this morning how most Americans are so spoiled by being able to jump in a car and go anywhere at any time. When you're on...