Saturday, April 30, 2022

Day 2 Leaving Oviedo moving west

“There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it” - Charles Warner





Sunrise wasn't until 8 this morning and there was free breakfast where I was staying. A great change to fuel up and take a few pieces of fruit for the road.


I had a great day in Oviedo on Friday. I think I may have been tired due to the plane trip and the lovely airline food. So yesterday I had breakfast, second breakfast, early lunch,, pre-siesta lunch, after siesta snack. and dinner. Including four Cafe Con Leche. Spain shuts down from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. everyday for a little quiet time. So we can all toddlers again.

As the they say "man plans and God laughs"...So with that in mind I attended today's pilgrim mass at the Chapel of the Chaste King in the cathedral.  That refers to Alphonse II, the first pilgrim, who I talked about in an earlier post. There were about 100 people there, about half pilgrims and a half local. The Chapel photo is in the lower left. I hope these photo collages are working, because they upload a lot faster an individual pictures. I am also using voice to text so I don't have to type.


I'm heading west this morning. The normal day 1 is in the town of Grado. The guidebook stops can be crowded, so I am stopping in the town of Paladin instead in a small hostel along the river. It gets great reviews. 



I shouldn't talk about plans, but I'm still planning to walk to the guidebook town of Salas on Sunday. I need to be in a larger town on a Sunday because many smaller towns completely closed. Religious tradition is Alive and Well in Spain and Sunday is Labor Day holiday.



Exploring Leon

I was thinking this morning how most Americans are so spoiled by being able to jump in a car and go anywhere at any time. When you're on...