Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Two days to go before Spain - Retirement (Jubilación!)

 “We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.” Finis Mitchell

When I was getting ready to retire this year I decided to do a solo Camino as a way to transition into a new phase of life. When I looked up the Spanish word for 'retirement' -- 'jubilacion' I knew I made the right decision. The english word jubilation is defined as 'a feeling of great happiness and triumph'. What a great way to approach retirement.

After college I worked for 20 years in Industrial Forestry, followed by 10 years in Environmental Management and 10 years in IT Program Management. As happens in a career, things change a little at a time until you are in a completely different profession. I started out working outside 30+ hours a week and ended up sitting behind two computer monitors at home during a pandemic. 

However, I never stopped being a Forester. As kids came, the family vacationed in most of the National Parks. I also  enjoyed passing my love of nature on as Boy Scout leader for 25 years. 

1979 - West Virginia

2022 - Covid working from home


That is one of the reasons the experience of the Camino is attractive. Walking for days through the landscape gives you a true appreciation for nature and the people who interact with it.

There is a tradition on the Camino Primativo. When sharing communal dinners in the evening with fellow pilgrims in the hostels, you are asked to describe your pilgrimage in one word. I have mine  -- 'Jubilacion!'.

Note: Today I was filling out some Spanish travel papers and for 'occupation' I was able to select 'jubilado' as my occupation. 😀

Next stop Spain....



Exploring Leon

I was thinking this morning how most Americans are so spoiled by being able to jump in a car and go anywhere at any time. When you're on...